Social entrepreneurship and social enterprises are necessary for
addressing the issue of economic necessity of vast section of our
population in both rural and urban areas. This course aims at
introducing the concept of social enterprises and social
entrepreneurship as an alternative to mainstream development approaches,
leading to sustainable development resulting in appreciable social
dividends. It is envisaged the the conceptual knowledge of the students
need to be enhanced by making them realise the significance of social
values and innovation in development. Students also need to be given a
fair understanding of the strengths and differentiation in the the role
of the established or old social economy (large scale cooperatives,
mutuals and associations) and the new social economy in the form of
income generating NGOs, third sector organisations and social
Objectives of the Course
1. To introduce the concept of Social Entrepreneurship as a technique to promote livelihoods of the poor and marginalised.
2. To understand organisational and collective dimensions of Social Enterprises.
3. To understand the characteristics of social enterprise models.
4. To understand the role of social entrepreneurship in livelihoods promotion, challenges and way forward.
- Teacher: Devisha Sasidevan